Sunday, January 07, 2007

Apple, Own the Living Room and Car

Common Steve... you own the teenagers pocket, have the interface, design, and brand.

People do not want and ugly computer in the living room with wires, and yet, MSFT is about to provide a GUI that competes... get on with it and own the living room. Just buy Tivo, move it to your interface, charge $200 and make it make money. 10.5 requires an external harddrive to make Time Machine useful, and the heavy weight content is intended for the living room (video, gaming and music) where should it be store (my vote is connected to the media center). Why not fix the media center interface issue at the same time.... use the iPod interface, or a Tivo remote... the hardware has connectors on the back side. Provide a MIB, and API, and get the user community to tie it to a hardened user GUI for the audio and video controls. Apple wins!! then use that platform for home automation (intercomm, security/HVAC control, lighting control). I want a iPod mini like controller at the wall switch.... it will sense my presnese (maybe based on my touch or based on the bluetooth signal, or based on my car fob signal... ) and do things... my music, my temp, my mail, my alerts, my schedule, my pictures and photographs....

Deploy Tivo/auto... this concept of carrying a device (iPod) around to have our environment is ridiculous. You have to plug it in the car?? or worse plug it into another device so it can send radio waves to the car to hear it on the speakers... that is even more clumsy and inelegant and very unApple like. Put a Mac in the dash, provide the interface, get 4 firms to build the apps: navigation (Garman/Google search), music (iTunes), vmail (Nortel), traffic (Google), weather. Network the thing (Intel/Nortel).

No comments:

Post a Comment